Indiana Pundit

 

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Judging Yard Signs

We see them everywhere the closer we get to election day. But what makes a yard sign an effective tool? The audience needs to clearly read the last name of the candidate and pick it out from the rest of the yard signs and street corner clutter.

Here are guidelines for designing effective yard signs.

50 x 50 scanability. Most people see your yard signs as they drive by. Therefore your sign must be readable at 50 feet at 50 mph.

Clean. The last name is the most important aspect of the sign (unless there is another candidate of the same last name, then you need the first name too). Long slogans, graphics, and photos can often cause clutter that takes away from the emphasis of the last name. They also affect the 50 x 50 scanability. All to often candidates put too much information on their yard signs. Less is more.

Uniqueness. There is a limit to what you can do to make your signs stand out. Therefore anything you do to make that happen is a plus.

Color. Choice and contrast of colors affect the appeal to viewers as well as scanability and uniqueness.

Between now and the election I will be doing critiques of yard signs found around Allen County. As it is impractical for me to go out and find every sign in the county I am asking viewers to e-mail me gif or jpg files of their favorite/ least favorite yard signs. Email submissions to indianapundit@yahoo.com. Please get as close as you can so I can see the details. All submissions will remain anonymous.

Thanks to all those who have already sent me graphics of yard signs prompting me to do this critique.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind seeing pics on yard signs..unless they take up the space needed to make the name large enough to read. I am sure Tammi McKee spent a good deal on her signs-and she looks goo-but you just can't read her name unless standing next to the yard sign version.
(Maybe she is making up for it in quantity--they are everywhere)
Generally I don't think billboards do much good..but in a close race they could matter. I like the Brown and the Paddock versions. Should be interesting contests this year!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a jpg but the worst yard signs in the history of elections, IMHO, are McKee's signs - there are several on Lafayette past downtown but before State. I drive by them several times each day and I still can't read them all....not only are they too small, but they have a picture which distracts your eyes from the words until you get by them. If it weren't for the HUGE signs she has a couple of other places I wouldn't even know what she's running for. And I still don't know why I'm supposed to vote for her.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe yard signs have worn out their effectivness. At one time yards signs were a way of getting name id. People no longer vote for canaidates because there is a sign in someones yard.Times are a changing. Now yards signs just annoy people. They look bad they do not stand up to the elements. Then the signs are blowing around neighborhoods. There are only so many "key intersection" and space is limited. If you approach a corner that is inadated with signs you don't try to see the names. Yard signs turn people off. Candiates now just do Yard sign because everyone else is or they always have.

That is why this election I am using Billboards. Used for Name Id only. If used in key locations in a defined area such as a township I believe they are more effective then yard sign.

As the pundit stated in earlier post. Township races are won by people who have Name ID. Thank you Pundit

12:37 PM  
Blogger Indiana Pundit said...

Yard signs in front of houses and businesses are more effective than those on street corners. They serve an extra service as a testimonial for the candidate.

If a well respected person has a sign in their yard I guarantee it caused the candidate to get at least one extra vote.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soo tired of yard signs at corners and in my neighborhood. I almost hit the Bill Brown people last night since they were sooo worried about putting them at a main intersection and blocking the traffic coming across. GREAT IDEA!!! Personally, there are soo many right now, I find myself not caring and gleefully awaiting the primaries to be over so that I don't have to see them any longer.

Do some old fashion politics and go meet the people who are going to vote for you....and not charge them $125.00 a plate to do so. I mean please...would it hurt these canidates to actually go to neighborhoods or hold meet and greets. I guess so.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess your grading system proves that signs designed AND printed locally rule! (your best grades were done so)

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

iP

Email

Resource Links

Blog Links

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2006 ©. Indiana Pundit.
All Rights Reserved.