Indiana Pundit

 

Monday, June 19, 2006

Push Polls

I have it from a good source that the xxxxxxx campaign is using push polls. While I have not heard the poll myself I thought that now would be a good time to explain what a push-poll is.

A push poll is a technique used by campaigns in an attempt to influence the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll. Push polls are a form of negative campaigning because they tend to spread rumor. The data taken is discarded and never kept for legitimate uses.

It is also is often used to remind voters of a particular issue such as abortion. It might ask respondents to rank candidates based on their support of an issue in order to get voters thinking about that issue.

The advantage of push polls is that they are an effective way of maligning an opponent while avoiding responsibility for the distorted or false information used in the push poll. They get their name because they "push" voters away from a candidate.

If credible evidence emerges that the polls were ordered by a campaign, it would do serious damage to that campaign. Push polls are also relatively expensive, having a far higher cost per voter than radio or television commercials. Thus push polls are most effective in elections with fewer voters, such as party primaries, or in close elections where a relatively small change in votes can mean victory or loss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Indiana Pundit said...

While I do not doubt my source, I have withdrawn the name of the campaign in question until I can verify things. The post was not intended to be a smear job against that campaign and I apologize.

I only included the name to see if anyone else reading this post had heard the same.

The post is intended only as an education on what push-polling is.

2:02 PM  
Blogger LP Mike Sylvester said...

I absolutely hate push polling...

Mike Sylvester

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you took the name off, IP. I saw the original post and was really offended. You were using rumor, assumptions and innuendo to criticize someone for using rumor, assumptions and innuendo. The irony of it was impressive if it weren't so wrong. You can educate people about politics without playing dirty politics yourself.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

iP

Email

Resource Links

Blog Links

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2006 ©. Indiana Pundit.
All Rights Reserved.