Indiana Pundit

 

Monday, February 27, 2006

This Week's Rebuttal to Sylvia Smith

I know it sounds like a vendetta. But its not. Its just a counter-opinion because there isn't one employed by the newspapers except Kevin Leininger (and they won't let him respond). Here is the link to the story Republicans tired of defending Bush.

Here are some exerpts from her piece.

"The American public consistently has given the GOP high marks for “keeping the country safe,” yet here was a decision that clearly freaked out people of all political persuasions and called into question the judgment of an administration that made it. It was a goodie basket of immense proportions."

I'll give her that one. The White House didn't respond in a way to resolve those fears.

"The politically interesting thing, from my perch, is this GOP reaction. The willingness – even eagerness – of members of Congress to criticize the head of their party suggests several things, all of which come down to using the port issue as a way to distance themselves from a president whose approval rating is in the low 40s."

She starts to show which side of the fence she perches from. She feels that it is a political weakness to criticize those of your own party. Republicans feel it is part of their strength and duty to criticize an issue when they feel it needs it no matter the party. Democrats tend to vote the party line. Just look at the votes on Capital Hill. You will see a Republican vote against a his/ her party's bill more than do the Democrats.

"Part of the Republican reaction is a natural frustration at being linked to bone-headed decisions, actions that invite derision or policies that infuriate the conservative base: Vice President Cheney’s hunting caper."

This is more evidence that she lacks objectivity in her reporting. Choice of words speaks volumes. Not to mention 57% of Americans feel that VP Cheney's hunting accident was a non-issue unworthy of the coverage received by the media.

The show has been fascinating to watch. But perhaps when the political hoopla calms, members of Congress might want to turn their attention away from the angst over “selling” U.S. ports to a foreign country and focus instead on a far riskier situation: the security gaps terrorists can penetrate. Much remains to be done on controlling what goes into shipping containers in overseas ports, getting more complete information about what’s in the containers, limiting who has access to the maritime facilities and establishing security standards for ports.

Again, I'll give her that one.

In the end she had some good points on the port deal and Homeland Security issues in general. However, I think that she is overzealous to criticize Republicans but is unwilling to give the same criticism to Democrats. It is things like this that have contributed the downward slide of the Fort Wayne newspapers readership and print media in general.

4 Comments:

Blogger William Larsen said...

Sylvia Smith called me just over a week ago and asked me what my issues were this year. I replied defense,
balanced budget, reducing the national debt, energy, identity theft, pension reform, on-us-checks and more. I deliberately left off social security. The then asked me if social security was still an issue. I replied that it was still one of my issues, but not the only one. She described me as a one issue candidate.

I have spoken with Sylvia many times, but in every case, she has not reported what I said, but what she wanted to write.

I, as a voter want to know what the candidate stands for, not more beating up or mud slinging. I as a voter want to know if the candidate has a plan or is it nothing but sound bites.

But, to Smith it is not the candidate’s issues that are important but what Smith perceives the issues should be. Readers beware of this one who censors your news.

The Larsen Plan

William Larsen's Blog

William Larsen's web site

Social Security: What Went Wrong?

Myths: The Poltical Tool of Choice

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why pass out the no Social Security buttons at the convo? If that's not your major issue you're just confusing people.

11:09 PM  
Blogger William Larsen said...

Social Security is of deep concern to me and should be to all. However, it is not the only issue. Budget Deficits, tax reform, Energy policy, identity theft, national defense are all important issues to me that I do not see being addressed. I have looked at Hayhurst's web site and cannot find his positions. I hear he is for affordable healthcare; does this make him a single issue candidate? In the eyes of Smith, Hayhurst is not single issue, but Larsen is. Go to Souder’s web site and what do you find as far as listed issues or a platform? Maybe these others are nothing more than zero issue candidates?

How many candidates' have a button that provides you with anything about their platform or issues? How many candidates' yard signs provide any idea as to their position on any topic? I decided that if I spent money, I was going to put at least one of my positions out so voters would at least have an idea of who I am. I could have put "I support Veterans" or "just say no to deficits." Maybe I should have five different signs printed, each with a different position and randomly place them throughout the district. Good, idea, but it comes down to cost.

I chose social security because it is by far the single largest issue in this country. It has promised the present value of $16 Trillion in benefits, but has just $1.65 Trillion in assets. The SS-OASI tax has had the largest tax increases of any tax paid by any American from 2% in 1937 to 10.6% in 2006. The base has risen from $3,000 in 1937 to $94,200 in 2006, far faster than either inflation or wage growth and still it cannot pay promised benefits.

Brandon B wrote "As a young Libertarian I find your ideas rational and sound. Too bad they don't all fit on a sign! I will vote for you. ps. have you thought about being a Libertarian? =)" March 30, 2004 20:56:22 (GMT Time)

22 Feb 2006 by Alex M.

Too bad they won't help Bill Larsen out. He's the only Congressional candidate I'm aware of with a semblance of a platform. Republican officeholders need to know that we stand for more than getting them elected. ...

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually if you DO look at the roll call votes and compare the solidarity ratio (how often a congressman votes w/ their party on partisan votes) of each party you'll find that the democrats break rank more often.

Senate Mean Median
GOP 90.0% 94%
Dems 90.0% 92.5%

House
GOP 93.2% 95%
Dems 90.8% 93%

http://drlaniac.com/Congress/Congress.asp

Also, your comment about the Cheney poll (if you're referring to the Rasmussen poll) is misleading. The poll was not whether the story was worth media coverage as you suggest but actually whether or not "the recent hunting accident involving Dick Cheney raises serious questions about his ability to serve as Vice President." These are two VERY different issues.

I understand the issues I raise may not directly affect the thesis of your post but I feel they should be addressed for accuracy...

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

iP

Email

Resource Links

Blog Links

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2006 ©. Indiana Pundit.
All Rights Reserved.