Indiana Pundit

 

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Four Questions With Adam Mildred

Q: What makes you think you are the most qualified candidate in your race?

I am a hometown deputy prosecuting attorney who is committed to sound stewardship of our taxes, efficient delivery of services, limited government, and the market. I have decided to stay, like many of my fellow young professionals, because my wife and I found that Fort Wayne's quality of life is better. Since we decided to stay, I refuse to sit on the sidelines and watch while others make the decisions that will be affecting our lives,

As a trial lawyer, I know how to ask questions to uncover details. This is important because much, if not most, of the role as a City Council member is reactionary. Most of the legislation comes from the administration for Council’s approval. I am also capable of conducting independent research on the issues. My career as a deputy prosecuting attorney constantly requires me to make difficult, reasoned decisions.

Q: What personal attribute do you hope to bring to city council if elected?

I am unafraid to take a hard position if I am confident in the decision. I know how to develop and ask the hard questions. I am committed to helping businesses create jobs, applying market principles, limited government, and focusing on basic infrastructure needs.

One of the most important roles of the Council is that of an overwatch position, providing stewardship of community resources. I am committed to asking first and foremost, "What does this initiative/decision do to promote our economy and jobs?"

Q: What issue(s) are at the forefront for what you want to address?

Jobs & Economic Development The community must be reminded that the term “Economic Development” means both attracting new companies and supporting existing businesses. Given that as much as 85 percent of a community’s economic growth comes from established businesses, local government must therefore be committed to helping businesses thrive and also must not over regulate businesses out of existence. Governments do not create jobs, businesses do. Politicians, however, have certainly stood in the way of a few. Local government should be a friend and supporter of local business. I will advocate reinvestment in this city with infrastructure development.

Public safety - As a City Councilman, I will promote our professional and responsive fire and police services, as safe communities support economic growth, foster citizen commitment to the community and are an essential component of an improved quality of life. Our departments are as good as they are because of the people who serve. I believe that we must make every effort to support the best training and equipment including bilingual officers and firefighters, treating ballistic vests as essential equipment, and am squarely behind take-home police cars.

Taxes and government efficiency
Taxes - I will do my best to be a good steward of your public resources. Wherever possible, I will ask to see efficiencies first before considering any increases. I am generally opposed to anything that takes more money out of the pocket of the consumer or the businesses who are trying to meet their needs. Taxes are the price we pay for vital and necessary public services, but we have to keep those costs as low as possible.

Q: Soapbox question. Anything else you'd like to say?

I have some specific objectives that I would like to accomplish, if elected:

1. I hope to help our community project itself as business-friendly through establishing business advocates to complement our Neighborhood Advocates. The Business Advocate would be charged with helping businesses to conduct their business with local government at any level and function as a “quality control” measure to help track the project’s progress.

2. I will seek to promote sound stewardship of our tax resources.

3. I will call for improved accessibility of the legislation before the Council. I will call for, and if necessary, draft an ordinance requiring that the clerk place all proposed legislation and agendas online and that an adequate number of copies should be both made available at the meeting itself.

4. I will draft legislation calling for regular accountability reports from the City Council’s appointments to 25 community boards and committees.

In closing, I am fired up about the opportunity to continue to serve my hometown. The greatest reward of my career as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney has been being able, in some way, to help people overcome the tragedy that has been inflicted upon them. Just as I have fought for victims of violent crime, businesses and neighborhoods, I will be an advocate for the future of my hometown.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

iP

Email

Resource Links

Blog Links

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Copyright 2006 ©. Indiana Pundit.
All Rights Reserved.